In 1993, the Nike Decade running shoe was introduced. Although it was a well-liked shoe by both runners and sneakerheads, its most well-known connection is to the Heaven’s Gate cult. All 39 cult members who wore Nike Decades perished in a mass suicide in 1997.
Shortly after the suicides, the shoes were withdrawn, and since then, they have grown in value as collector’s items. They are regarded as a part of sneaker history and are currently valued at hundreds of dollars.
A sleek, futuristic running shoe with a high top was the Nike Decade. It had a noticeable Air unit in the heel and a full-length Air Max unit in the sole. The shoe was constructed from synthetic, mesh, and leather components.
Association with Heaven’s Gate
A mass suicide involving 39 members of the Heaven’s Gate sect occurred in 1997. When the cult members passed away, they were all dressed in Nike Decades. The Nike Decades, according to the cult, would enable them to reach a higher plane of existence.
Not long after the suicides, Nike ended the Decade. Although the business could not provide an explanation, it is assumed that the bad press the shoe received had something to do with the decision to discontinue.
Today, the Nike Decade is prized as a collectible. They are regarded as a part of sneaker history and are valued at thousands of dollars. eBay and other online auction sites are frequently used to sell the shoes.
The Nike Decade is an unusual and divisive sneaker. It serves as a reminder of the ability of shoes to pique people’s interest from different backgrounds. However, the shoe will be a talking point for years to come and serves as a reminder of the sad events that occurred in 1997.
Reasons why the Nike Decade is so popular:
- It is a timeless, fashionable shoe that remains in style.
- It’s a well-constructed shoe that fits nicely and is ideal for daily use.
- Some of the greatest names in sports and culture are linked to this chapter of shoe history.
You may have to shell out a lot of money for a pair of Nike Decades. But if you are fortunate enough to locate a pair, you will be enhancing your collection with a genuine piece of sneaker history.
Some other interesting facts about the Nike Decade:
- In addition to its initial release in black and white, the shoe was also made available in a variety of different hues, such as red, blue, and green.
- The Decade was a part of the 1997 motion picture “Con Air.”
- 2018 saw the shoe’s rerelease as a part of the Nike “Decades Pack,” which also featured the Air Max 90, 95, and 97 reissues.
An iconic sneaker that is still in demand today is the Nike Decade. The shoes are reasonably priced, fashionable, and cozy. In addition, they are highly prized by collectors and represent a piece of history.